Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am getting a bit confused with the multiple uses of でも. Permission, even if, without doing, etc.

I have the following 2 sentences to translate. Note - these sentences might not be valid

Sentence 1
わからないでも言って下さい

Sentence 2
二時間おきでもいいです

I think they mean the following.

Sentence 1
Please say it without understanding. 

Sentence 2
Even every 3 hours is okay. 

Are these sentences valid, and if so, are my translations correct?

share|improve this question
わからないでも >> Maybe you mean わからなくても (even if you don't understand)? –  Choko May 7 at 6:29

@Chocolate - nope. As mentioned, the sentences might not be valid. –  Rachel G. May 7 at 16:40

Hmm.. I think "Please say it without understanding" would literally translate to "分からないまま言って下さい" (I can't think of any context where you'd say this, though) –  Choko May 9 at 16:26

2 Answers 2

Both of your sentences are invalid.

share|improve this answer
Your answer could be more useful if it was expanded. –  Szymon May 9 at 6:55

There is two ways I can see for your first sentence. First you could write it:

わからない。でも、言って下さい

In this case you would separate it in two sentences meaning: "I don't understand. But say it"

In which case, it is the closest if I try to not change your japanese sentence. If I go the other way around by trying to not change your english translation, I find it better to say:

わからなくても言って下さい

On your second sentence, few changes ought to be made. If what you want to say in english is "Even every 3 hours is okay", I would rather say it this way in japanese:

[毎三時間]{まいさんじかん}でもいいです。

I hope my answers answered your question.

share|improve this answer
「毎三時間」は「まいさんじかん」ですか。(三[時間]{じかん}[毎]{ごと}じゃなく?) –  Choko May 9 at 16:25

「毎三時間」は「まいさんじかん」です。 What you wrote in bracket is 「さんじかんまい」 which unfortunately does not make much sense. –  Yakobu May 13 at 18:44
I didn't say さんじかんまい. I said さんじかんごと。 –  Choko May 14 at 5:04

参考までに・・・ japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/11195/… –  Choko May 14 at 5:08

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.