Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know how to say "without" when it comes to verbs using 〜ないで. But I was wondering how to use "without" when it comes to nouns. For example:

I left without my wallet.

or

I left without my glasses.

Sometimes I see なしに or なしで after a noun, and I wonder what the difference between them is and how to use them. How do I say "without (noun)" using なしに or なしで?

share|improve this question
Could you provide more context or some examples and explain where exactly lies your difficulty? –  Szymon May 6 at 4:46
Please provide some example sentences using the two words in question. –  dotnetN00b May 6 at 5:25
You could add 抜き{ぬき} to the list... –  Szymon May 6 at 10:11
Isn't なしく a typo of なく? –  Yang Muye May 6 at 10:18
@user5292 please use the edit button to add extra information to your question. If you make it clear enough it will be reopened! –  ssb May 7 at 2:31

1 Answer 1

なし isn't really used this way. Just in terms of how the language works idiomatically, I've more often heard this expressed by using a different verb first:

• XX を忘れて出かけました。
    I forgot my XX and left. → I left without my XX.
  • XX をテーブルに置いたまま出かけちゃった。
    I put XX on the table, and with it still there, I left → I left with XX still on the table.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.