Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Just now in the chat room we came across a reading of the kanji 閉 that seems to be either rare or erroneous.

In the English Wiktionary's entry for 閉 there is the following "Readings section":

• On: へい (hei), へつ (hetsu)
  • Kun: とじる (tojiru), しめる (shimeru), とざす (tozasu)

None of us in the chat room at the time could come up with anywhere the へつ is used?

Is it a correct reading? What is/was it used for?

share|improve this question

It's not listed in the dictionaries I own, but it is listed in the Unicode database in the kJapaneseOn field: unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=%E9%96%89 (I don't know anything about the readings data in Unicode, but others here might.) –  snailboat May 5 at 9:09

Does that rule it out as being an error in the Unicode database, or in the source that Unicode used when compiling its database? Unicode certainly hasn't proven to be free of errors otherwise. –  hippietrail May 5 at 9:36
Never heard of it, nor can I find it in any dictionary. +1 for an error –  Enno Shioji May 6 at 0:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.