Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have only seen the sub character used before. Now I am encountering the full size character, but cannot figure out how to enter it into a keyboard.

Also, I know is a repetition marker. Is there any specific use that the larger version serves?



enter image description here

share|improve this question
Input のま and convert it. Or you're talking about specific fonts? – user4092 Jul 27 '14 at 13:57
up vote 15 down vote accepted

I think there is no other way to answer your question than:

There is only one 々 character; any differences you are seeing are variation in typefaces/handwriting.

Fonts can vary quite a bit in their proportions, and 々 is technically a symbol and not a kanji (as far as I'm aware), so that's further reason why typeface designers might treat it differently (from each other and from kanji) and give it special sizing.

Four fonts, different sizing:

国々 in four typefaces

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.