Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've always thought that they both mean something like "I see" or "Is that so?" and I was told that they have different meaning. Is that so?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

There is a difference between the two and it is the kind of difference that could easily be lost in translation.

You say 「そうなんだ」 when you basically have no doubt about what you have just heard from the other person. You have learned something new and you are chiming in with him.

「そうかな」 is different in that you have an amount of doubt about what you have just heard. You may have a different opinion regarding the matter.

This is why using a translation like "Is that so?" in understanding the two Japanese phrases in question might not help greatly because it could be used in both situations, could it not?

share|improve this answer

I see. Thank you! –  sadolit May 3 at 16:43

I think that そうかな corresponds (loosely) to "Oh, really?" or "Is that so?" or "Oh, you think so?", and そうなんだ to "I see" (as you might expect: the former is a question, the latter a statement, both in Japanese and in English).

な is a variant of ね, here in particular with the feel of asking yourself a rhetorical question. I wouldn't go as far as saying that you are doubting the statement, but you wouldn't be surprised, if it were false.

Note. In Japanese, そうかな (and そうですか) may also be used in a context, where in English you'd simply say "I don't think so".

P.S. そうなの? is a way of saying "Is that so?", which preserves the ambiguity of whether you might be doubting the statement or just accepting it "as is".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.