Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I received this message:「行けることになりやした」. Doing a quick Google search for なりやした, I found a few phrases like 「新米母になりやした!」and 「遅くなりやした。」

Is it a kind of slang for なりました?

share|improve this question

Do you suppose it could just be a typo? The gesture-based Japanese input interface for my phone has the button for all the ま行 letters next to the button for all the や行 letters, so I could definitely see somebody with a similar input interface making that error. –  senshin May 3 at 0:16

Why google it in the past tense if you really want to learn? The first thing you sould have done was to look up やす in a good monolingual dictionary. –  非回答者 May 3 at 0:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It's used by characters in movies etc. depicting typically edo-period. It's allegedly how lower-ranking (lower social status) people talked to higher ranking people in those times. I don't know if this is actually the case, but that's the stereotype.

When used in today's setting, the speaker is joking.

share|improve this answer
If a young dude (from anywhere) said やす or やした today, the chances are that he would only be kidding around or trying to sound like a manga character. However, if an older male (and working-class) Tokyoite said it today, the chances are that that is just how he always speaks. –  非回答者 May 3 at 1:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.