Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a TV show I am watching (孤独のグルメ, perhaps many of you have heard of it) the gentleman is about to drink some coffee but pauses to savour the aroma. He says

いい かおり だ

Which I translate as "good aroma". Am I right in saying that におい is simply "smell"?

So perhaps

台所から においに来ています  a smell is coming from the kitchen

and

台所から かおりに来ています  an aroma is coming from the kitchen

(this may not be correct Japanese, please correct me)

So in example #2 it is implied there is a nice smell like food is cooking ("aroma") but in example #1 something could be burning or rotting.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Yes, におい is just "a smell". It is in fact neutral, but without いい in front of it, I usually perceive it as a bad one (as I also do with "smell" in English). Like if you say, "What a smell!" in English, I think most people would take this to mean a bad smell rather than a good one.

Also, to say "smells" or "producing a smell", the form is  におい・かおり  する.

• 台所はにおいがしています。 → A smell is coming from the kitchen.
  • 台所はかおりがしています。 → An aroma/good smell is coming from the kitchen.

Note that you will often hear いいかおり even though it's kind of redundant.

share|improve this answer

台所はにおいがする sounds better to me. I seem to remember having read somewhere about how these sensory verb phrases tend to be stative, but can't remember where. –  dainichi May 2 at 3:08

Ah, here we go: ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8A%B6%E6%85%8B%E5%8B%95%E8%A9%9E. I guess it's similar to English, "The kitchen smells", not "The kitchen is smelling". –  dainichi May 2 at 3:15

@dainichi: But isn't it similar to saying something like 青い目をしている子 (The girl with ["that has"] blue eyes)? –  istrasci May 7 at 15:08

This dictionary treats them differently dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/120514/m0u/%E3%81%99%E3%82%8B (1㋐ and 2㋓). They're definitely different with regards to stative-ness. –  dainichi May 8 at 0:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.