Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need some help with this grammar point ’ことは'.

The definition I have is "Indeed one does something alright, but ~"

Verb / い adj ことは V2/ い2 adj "話すことは” ”高いことは”

Examples:

• 高【たか】かったことは高かった
  • 笑う【わらう】ことは笑うがおかしくない
  • 便利【べんり】なことは便利だが、高すぎる
  • 安い【やすい】ことは安いがたちがわるい

Why is the verb/adjective always written twice? It's confusing. I just can't seem to understand these example sentences.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

This construction is usually followed by が or けれど and means something like "yes, one does X but...". It conveys the meaning that there's a caveat - the statement is true but there's a condition/fact that modifies it meaning, softening it or negating to some extent. It's used to justify your actions ("Yes, it was expensive but I needed it (so I bought it)."), providing an opposing view in a soft way ("Yes, it's nice but it's too dark (so I won't buy it)."), etc.

Don't worry about the fact that the verb or adjective is repeated twice - it's just the way the structure is built.

Note that this structure also exist for な-adjectives: な-adj ことは な2-adjだ.

It's best to understand it based on examples.

高{たか}かったことは高{たか}かった。。。
It was expensive but... (I liked it so I bought it anyway)

笑{わら}うことは笑{わら}うがおかしくない。
(Yes, ) I laughed but it wasn't really funny.

便利{べんり}なことは便利{べんり}だが、高{たか}すぎる。
(It's true) It is convenient but it's too expensive.

安{やす}いことは安{やす}いがたちがわるい。
(You may think) It is cheap but the quality is poor.

Reference

• "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar", page 206. 「ことは」structure's explanation - translated as "indeed one does something alright, (but ~); indeed ~ (but ~); do ~ (but ~)".

• "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar", page 205. 「ことは」structure is compared to 「~ないこともない」. It is stated that both structure are used to not give an unconditional statement. The former is used to answer affirmative questions, the latter negative questions.

share|improve this answer

:Do you have a reference by any chance? –  Tim May 1 at 22:25

That helps a little bit, thank you. I'll try thinking about it in that sort of way. –  user5268 May 1 at 22:39
The reduplication can be made to sound natural, even in English: "Expensive things are expensive, I'll grant, but that's too much!" –  Kaji May 2 at 7:24

@Tim, what kind of reference and related to which part would you like? –  Szymon May 2 at 10:22

@Szymon: The first paragraph of your answer. I am realise it is your explanation, and I can't add anything but I wondered if it could be referenced. –  Tim May 3 at 0:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.