Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's a natural way of saying "Is it worth a visit?" in Japanese? Something like 「訪れ価値がある?」?

share|improve this question

Maybe you should revise your question to incorporate nuance. The phrasing you guess for the Japanese in your question is not grammatical. –  virmaior May 1 at 12:32

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

I don't know how (un)natural it might sound, but what about かい/がい (甲斐)?

• {来訪, 訪問}のし甲斐がある
  • {訪ね、訪れ}甲斐
  • 甲斐のある{来訪, 訪問}
share|improve this answer

Yes I like this a lot more. Like 旅行のし甲斐がありますか? –  DaniG2k May 1 at 15:35
Sounds too "translated". Not the native speakers' natural word choice. –  l'électeur May 3 at 0:30

@TokyoNagoya: Hence the part where I said, I don't know how (un)natural it might sound. –  istrasci May 4 at 0:26

I'd say something like 行く意味ある?, 行った方がいい?, 行くべき?

share|improve this answer

That sounds grammatically correct but the nuance is not what I was looking for.. –  DaniG2k May 1 at 12:14

@DaniG2k: If you are asking whether it's worth visiting an attraction etc., these are pretty standard ways of saying it –  Enno Shioji May 1 at 12:17
@DaniG2k Hmm... it could literally be translated as 行く/行ってみる(だけの)価値/[値打]{ねう}ち(が)ある?or 訪れる(だけの)価値/値打ち(が)ある?etc., but EnnoShoji's sentences sound more natural to me... (or maybe it depends on the context, formality, etc.?) –  Choko May 1 at 13:30

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.