Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is なり means in the following sentence, as far as I can guess it's close to the second one here.

「少なくとも、いきなり挑戦される可能性は低い。その間に、戦う準備なり勝つ方法を考えていかないといけないが…」

Some sort of translation:

"At the very least, the possibility of us being challenged is low. In ths time period we have to think about fight preparations and the way to win."

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

as far as I can guess it's close to the second one here.

[副助]名詞、名詞に準じる語、副詞、活用語の終止形、助詞などに付く。それ以外にも適当なものがあるという気持ちを含めて、ある事柄を例示的に示す意を表す。…でも。「彼に―相談したらいい」「電話―してください」

Maybe you're right.

なり in this case describes that there's an available way you can choose directly, but it seems that you are still able to choose another way.

• 「彼になり相談したらいい」 could be "You may ask him (or another person.)"
  • 「電話なりしてください」 could be "Call me (or use another way to communicate with me)."

(Your translation) we have to think about fight preparations and the way to win.

This なり doesn't mean "and". If I translated this phrase, it would be...

we have to think about the way to win such as fight preparation.

Because なり denotes a specific example as I explained above.

FYI, if this phrase contained two なり like this:

戦う準備なり勝つ方法 なり を考えていかないといけないが…

This should be translated as

we have to think about fight preparations or the way to win (or other things we need).

share|improve this answer

Thank you very, it seems I misunderstood the grammar explanation. –  DarkAkira Apr 30 at 18:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.