Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I was watching something last year that involved a visit to 浅草神社. Along the way there were conversations over where was the preferred way to read the name for the temple—either using the kun readings (あさくさじんじゃ) or on readings (せんそうじ).

The next bit struck me as a bit odd, though, when they got on the topic of the temple's 雷門. I'd always assumed that it was straightforward: らいもん. As it turns out though, it appears that the proper name for it is a mixed kun-on reading of かみなりもん instead. Is there any particular reason for this?

Picture of the gate in question, for reference:

share|improve this question
I'd always assumed that it was straightforward: らいもん >>> 実は私もです。。。 –  Choko Apr 30 at 9:53
1) あさくさじんじゃ and せんそうじ are two different things and they both exist. 2) Never heard らいもん. –  l'électeur May 3 at 1:05
@非回答者 イナズマイレブンの雷門(らいもん) のせいかな・・・スマソ! –  Choko May 24 at 14:08

浅草にあるのになんで[浅草寺]{あさくさでら}じゃないんだろう・・・。ちなみに『「しみずじ」/「かわはらちょう」はどこですか?』と聞かれたとき、私は「 [清水寺]{きよみずでら}」と「[河原町]{かわらまち}」のことだと気付きませんでした。 –  Choko May 24 at 14:18

@Chocolate せやから、寺と神社が隣同士に並んでるので、「浅草」の読み方を敢えて音と訓に分けてるのでは?それぞれ別の宗教の建物やし。地名や建物名、つまり固有名詞にあんまりルー‌​ルを期待しても裏切られるだけでっせ。 –  l'électeur May 24 at 14:35

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

According to this article on Wikipedia, the name 雷門 first appeared in senryū (川柳) poetry of Edo period but it's not clear how it came to be used.

It's also interesting that the official name of the gate is full on-reading 風{ふう}雷{らい}神{じん}門{もん} and it comes from the two statues of Shinto gods 風神{ふうじん} and 雷神{らいじん} which stand inside the gate. The official name is written at the back of the lantern.

share|improve this answer
[風門]{かぜもん}はないんだぁ・・・ 風神さんかわいそう・・ –  Choko Apr 30 at 13:12

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.