Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm not sure which way to say something like exit/leave/depart/get off/escape is most appropriate when the thing I want to get off is the system of expressways in Tokyo called the Shuto 首都高.

I'm not sure that any of these would be right:

• 出発する
  • 下車する
  • 残す
  • 終了するには
share|improve this question
FYI, 出発する is more like "to set out from a place"; 下車する is strictly "to exit or disembark from a vehicle"; 残す is unrelated; and 終了する is more like "to complete an action". –  senshin Apr 28 at 9:04

Just so long as 脱線 doesn't apply it's all good, no? hehehe... –  Kaji Apr 28 at 9:17

@senshin: Yes I was pretty sure it would come down to semantics / idiomatic points. –  hippietrail Apr 28 at 9:20

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

You can use 降りる. User @Chocolate is also fond of 出る

高速を降りる
高速を出る

You can use these in the same way to express your idea of getting off of one form of expressway onto another.

首都高を降りて高速(or whatever)に入る・乗る

Just to address your original guesses:

出発する is to depart, as in the place of origin.

下車する is to get out of a car/vehicle.

残す is to leave something in the same way that you might leave food uneaten.

終了 is when something finishes.

share|improve this answer

「高速を出る」も足して~--- –  Choko Apr 28 at 9:06

What I actually want to do is get off the Shuto onto a "proper" expressway out of Tokyo, like the 中央道. But I don't want to get off it onto the normal streets. –  hippietrail Apr 28 at 9:22

@hippietrail ah sorry, that wasn't immediately clear to me. I'm not familiar with that regional jargon. I'm pretty sure you can still use it in the same way, though... △△を降りて◯◯に乗る? Or Or ~を出て高速に乗る?首都高から~に乗る・入る? –  ssb Apr 28 at 9:26

No problem I wasn't sure how much of my particular situation I should put in to make a question about language (-: –  hippietrail Apr 28 at 9:34

「首都高を降りて高速に入る・乗る」 makes no sense as 首都高 is a 高速. –  非回答者 Sep 9 at 19:26

"get off the Shuto onto a "proper" expressway out of Tokyo, like the 中央道."

In this case, I'd also say:

首都高を抜けて中央道に入る drive out of/through Shutokou and continue onto Chuoudou

share|improve this answer
おおおひさしぶり~おかえり~~~!!! –  Choko Apr 29 at 5:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.