Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here is a small passage from my Japanese Bible, where a king is summoning his servants.

さて、彼は...帰って来ると、...[僕]{しもべ}を呼んで来させ、...。 最初の者が...。二番目の者が来て...

Why is it referring to the second servant as 二番目の者 instead of the more intuitive (at least to me) 二人目? Is this derogatory somehow, or is it essentially relating [僕]{しもべ} to a 番人, and 番人 are simply counted with ~番?

Are there other acceptable times to count people this way?

share|improve this question
Doesn't “二番目” simply mean “the second”? Or do you mean to ask “二つ目” (this second object)? –  Yang Muye Apr 26 at 21:24

Here is a related article that might be useful: related article –  shinmai_psb Apr 26 at 22:12

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think 「二番目」 just means "second" as "second in order" which is not really a counter of people but a way of expressing order, including order of people. The king first calls a servant and then calls the second (in order servant).

Quickly looking in the internet, I found some other examples of applying 「二番目」 to people:

二番目の女から本命彼女になる方法 (link)

二番目の男でもいい、と告白されました。 (link)

二番目の子が生まれてから、上の子と接する時間が少なくなった私。(link)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.