Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"Slurred speech" is not just a past participle modifying a noun. It is actually a casual way to say the medical condition "dysarthria". I was just wondering if there was a Japanese euphemism analogous to "slurred speech".

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Szymon, Dono, Kaji, Earthliŋ, snailboat Apr 27 at 21:26

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I may be wrong but I think this question is asking for translation without an attempt to translate and thus is off-topic. –  Szymon Apr 27 at 9:24

4 Answers 4

up vote 4 down vote accepted

[吃]{ども}る means "to stutter", although I don't know if that completely overlaps with "slurred speech", or if it necessarily implies anything like a stroke, concussion, etc.

share|improve this answer

I have heard colleagues use 吃る to refer to another colleague with congenital speech issues (having not met the colleague, I can't tell for sure, but it sounded more like slur than stutter). So this might be the word you are looking for. –  Dave Apr 27 at 2:43

@Dave Thank you for the confirmation. 「吃る」 sounds about as best as I can recommend. I do wonder what slurred speech sounds like in Japanese, spoken by native or non-native alike. I also wonder if it is even possible to slur speech in Chinese (but that would be a different thread). –  shinmai_psb Apr 27 at 13:47

@shinmai_psb The typical [吃]{ども}り/[吃音]{きつおん} is like youtube.com/watch?v=PQh1WqNYNCw from 0:29「この、サイレントヒ、ヒ、ヒ、ヒ、ヒルをし、しようっと、と思った理由は、これが普通に淀橋で安売りし、し、し、し、してたから・・・」 –  Choko Apr 28 at 8:49

@shinmai_psb The typical ろれつが回らない is like youtube.com/watch?v=ApCqIwoQmIo from 0:30 –  Choko Apr 28 at 9:26

Glancing on alc, it seems you can describe someone's words as 不明瞭 (as in 不明瞭な言葉・発語) or use the expression ろれつがまわらない, which is basically "to speak inarticulately." edict includes "slurring" in its definition of this.

This page uses the phrase ろれつがまわらない in reference to stroke victims.

Particularly this example seems to match that more medical sort of meaning:

If you have a loss of coordination and slurred speech in the cold outside, you should come inside right away.
寒い戸外にいてもし筋肉運動が失調し、言葉が不明瞭になってきたら、すぐに室内に入るべきである。

Discussion with user @Chocolate in chat has led me to believe that 吃る, while indicative of a similar speech phenomenon, is used more for stuttering/stammering in the sense of getting caught on the initial sounds of words and not the unintelligible stream of sound that slurred speech tends to be.

Nevertheless I am not 100% sure. My answer is based only on research and not prior knowledge.

I would like to add the following two terms to the existing answers.

言語障害
speech impediment

構語障害
dysarthria

How about:

[言葉]{ことば}or[発音]{はつおん}or言っていること  が  [聞]{き}き[取]{と}りづらいor聞き取りにくい
or
[滑舌]{かつぜつ}が[悪]{わる}い (Not good at speaking smoothly and clearly)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.