Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Ok, I've come across a few expressions involving the word わけ (訳)such as わけではない, to indicate that something differs from a notion the listener may have; わけがない, to indicate that there is no sense in something, and just ending the sentence with わけだ to indicate a conclusion. I was wondering how many more of these わけ expressions there are, and what they are.

share|improve this question

I've edited to switch references to わけ rather than 訳. Writing this and things like はず in kana much more common in contemporary Japanese. Though, I think your question might end up being too broad / reference only if you want people just to list uses of わけ –  virmaior Apr 26 at 2:02
Oh, ok, thanks. I just like the way the kanji looks :P. –  KingPumpkin Apr 26 at 2:03

We all do, but it drives the native speakers crazy at times. hehehe...If you're interested in learning more about when to use them and when to leave them off, that's addressed a bit here: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/15141/… –  Kaji Apr 26 at 2:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

In addition to what you've got listed there's also:

• わけが分からない, indicating that you don't know why something is happening
  • もうしわけない/もうしわけありません, which is a formal way of apologizing (literally translated, it means "there is no excuse [for what happened]")
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.