Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Back in the day, my friends and I derived much amusement from the kanji that is read 「たいと」, which consists of three 雲 and three 龍:

たいと

What actual purpose did this kanji serve? The Japanese Wikipedia article for it says:

日本で苗字として用いられたとされる国字。

But the fact that this says 用いられたとされる suggests to me that this is somehow vague, unclear, or disputed.

(Personally, it strikes me as an almost comical kanji, and I can't imagine anybody using it seriously.)

share|improve this question

84 strokes?!?!?! –  istrasci Apr 25 at 19:14

I haven't been around many people studying languages, so I derived much amusement from imagining a group of people deriving much amusement from looking at (and maybe writing) a single 漢字. –  Earthliŋ Apr 25 at 19:40
"Sensei, we found this interesting kanji. Do you think you could show us how to write it?" / "Sure, which kanji is it?" / "雲雲雲龍龍龍 chortle chortle chortle". My friends and I were not exactly master comedians back in high school. –  senshin Apr 25 at 19:45

Almost feels like something for an academic olympic event. Hold a contest to see who can write it the fastest without resorting to 草書 –  Kaji Apr 25 at 23:14

Hey, if my name was spelled with that 漢字, you'd better be damn sure I'd hold on to it. Maybe a little gaudy, but definitely unique. –  KingPumpkin Apr 25 at 23:28

1 Answer 1

Based on this article (skim to the bottom), apparently someone actually used it to write their name as recently as the 1960s (which means he probably was given the name prior to the postwar reforms limited what names could be given to an assigned set).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.