Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

According to WWWJDIC, 歯止め is used as follows:

歯止めをかける; 歯止めを掛ける (exp,v1) to curb; to halt; to apply brakes; to put an end to

The English translations have a pretty good correspondence with the imagery, especially if you consider 歯車.

Consider the opposite action:

To get things moving; to get it in drive; to weigh anchor; to find purchase; to stop spinning wheels; to find traction; to [actually] get started; to get underway

What would be a Japanese expression that corresponds? 取りかかる, 緒に就く, 切り口, and 糸口 all come to mind, but they're still not quite right. The physical lurch when a vehicle or mechanism starts delivering power is the key to all of these English expressions; I would like to get as close as possible while staying within natural expressions.

share|improve this question
Maybe 踏み込む ? (I lack the confidence to make this an answer) –  virmaior Apr 22 at 11:16
Perhaps 計画を軌道に乗せる ; to put a plan into action, or more literally, into orbit. –  Tim Apr 23 at 8:36

@Tim Want to add it as an answer? Now that you mention it, I do remember that phrase in use. –  Trevor Alexander Apr 29 at 23:46

1 Answer 1

It would probably be 拍車をかける, which means to spur, encourage, accelerate etc.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.