Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I was in Okinawa drinking sake I asked my host what the Japanese word for the sake cup was and was told:

お猪口{ちょこ}

Then today I went to the Nezu Museum in Tokyo which currently has a collection of sake utensils on display. Every single cup there bore the label:

さかづき in the rubi and either 盃 or 酒盃 for the kanji.

So I was originally going to ask what the difference is between おちょこ and さかづき but on looking up the latter for the right kanji to use in this question I was bombarded with these variants:

杯(P); 盃; 坏; 巵; 卮; 盞; 觚; 觴; 酒盃(iK) 【さかずき(P); さかづき; うき(盞)】

So it seems that the exhibit was using neither the preferred/popular kanji nor the preferred/popular pronunciation!

What am I to make of all this? Which word should I use for sake cup? Why would the museum go with an uncommon variant? Are there nuances?

share|improve this question
ず and づ have merged in most dialects. They used to be distinguished, though. –  snailboat Apr 23 at 21:39

@snailboat: Of course I knew this but forgot about it when doing this question \-: –  hippietrail Apr 24 at 0:13

Excuse me but what does "iK" stand for? (and... I don't understand 「are their nuances」part... ) –  Choko Apr 24 at 7:09

@Chocolate: I don't know, I'm only copying and pasting what I find in WWWJDIC. I suppose it's something like "irregular kanji", "infrequent kanji", or "informal kanji". –  hippietrail Apr 24 at 10:26

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think さかずき normally refers to something that looks like this: さかずき
and can also be used as a general term for sake cup, including おちょこ:enter image description here
I think さかづき is probably an archaic way of spelling it in hiragana(or katakana?). Nowadays we normally spell it as さかずき. As for 杯 and 盃... both look okay to me, though I think I learned it as 杯 at school... some people say 盃 is a 俗字(informal variant?) for 杯 but I'm not sure.

share|improve this answer

Well, to start off, お猪口 is the typical cup you see when sake is served hot. It looks kind of like a ceramic shot glass, just with straighter sides and a little shorter.

さかずき are flatter and disc-like. As for how to write it, my dictionary confirms the preferences listed in EDICT: 杯 is listed first, followed by 盃. Unless I go to the 国語辞典 within the application, it leaves off the other two. Given the fact that the latter is a 人名用 and the former is 常用, that would appear to indicate that 杯 is the way to go, however Wikipedia (and, in fact, the displays you've been reading) appear to prefer 盃.

share|improve this answer

At least a couple of the 盃 looked very much like the short stubby cylinder shaped お猪口 but still were labelled 盃. Photography wasn't allowed and I couldn't find pictures of the exhibition online unfortunately. –  hippietrail Apr 22 at 14:43

If 杯 is 常用 and 盃 is 人名用, wouldn't you want to go with the 常用 one, i.e. 杯? –  senshin Apr 23 at 8:14

@senshin: You're right. I thought I'd put that in, but I guess my IME got confused from going back and forth so much. Fixed. –  Kaji Apr 23 at 14:17
Wikipedia is using 盃... ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%9B%83 –  Choko Apr 23 at 16:23
@Chocolate I think that might just be because is a disambiguation page for things like ~杯【はい】 because it has alternate meanings, while 盃 is unambiguous, so they picked 盃 for the article title. –  senshin Apr 23 at 22:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.