Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was translating some lines earlier and I ran into a snag after the speaker said this:

その言葉は重くて、遊びで戦っているのではない事だけは俺にも伝わりました。

My main problem comes from the 遊びで戦っている part and I'd like to confirm that I'm reading this right.

What I'm seeing is that the speaker's saying that that he understood, from a mentor's words (that he overheard a few seconds ago), that they are fighting despite not liking it?

Addendum: Or it also mean that they're not fighting as a game/for the hell of it? Because the whole point of this scene is that the speaker has realized that everyone around him has a reason to why they're fighting in the first place.

Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks for the help.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Your latter interpretation is correct. "遊びで戦っているのではない" basically means "本気で戦っている". Without context, it is hard to infer whether they like the fight or not, though.

share|improve this answer

Roger that. Thanks for clearing it up! –  Brunom1 Apr 22 at 15:38
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.