Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a recent question, we talked about using sentence-ending 〜だと after a verb, quoting something you found surprising. The example given in the linked question is as follows:

A「なんでもします!」
B「なんでもするだと!?

I'm curious what variations だと can take with this usage. I can think of four, substituting です for だ and substituting って for と:

• だと
  • だって
  • ですと
  • ですって

Which of these variations are possible with this usage? Did I leave any variations out?

(Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to look this up. For some reason, dictionaries don't seem to list だと, even though its usage seems to be different from a simple combination of だ and と.)

share|improve this question

I think all of the 4 are possible with the context, though the last one would usually be used by a woman. :) –  Greek Fellows Apr 20 at 13:52

@GreekFellows: ですって might be said by a male or female quoting someone in polite form: 『「....です」って』 –  Tim Apr 28 at 6:11

1 Answer 1

「なんでもするの!?」can fit as well.

When you use these variations, you send a message that what you've just found is just too hard to believe and you want some kind of additional information or assistance that helps you accept it. They're almost like a question.

Therefore, not only「なんでもするの!?」 but also phrases like 「なんでもするんですか!?」「なんでもするって本当!?」can replace all the variations.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.