Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can somebody give me a translation for

実際にうつ病やアルツハイマーの治療として、女性患者に化粧やヘアチェンジを実践することもあるくらいです。お化粧はテンションをあげてくれるお薬でもあるんですね。

I came up with,
Did you know (or truthfully), as a treatment for depression or Alzheimer's, female patients will practice using make-up or change their hair colour? Cosmetics are a medicine that can heighten your tension

Really not sure about the second sentence. Thanks.

share|improve this question

It tells cosmetics and changing hair style can be a cure for depression and Alzheimer. The style of these sentences is casual not rigorous, so these give me an impression that these are not trustful remedies. –  noel_lapin Apr 19 at 7:10
ヘアチェンジを実践もある is not a correct Japanese. It should be modified as ヘアチェンジを実践する例もある. –  noel_lapin Apr 19 at 7:11

Perhaps one point to keep in mind is that テンション does not translate well to tension. The Japanese word means excitement. –  virmaior Apr 19 at 8:00

Thanks so much, noel_lapin. And yes, the text is from definitely not from an academic source. Do you mind explaining to me the difference between ヘアチェンジを実践もある and ヘアチェンジを実践する例もある? virmaior, thanks for that. I definitely slip up on those katakana with modified (yet genitally related) meanings. –  user5184 Apr 19 at 11:43
「ヘアチェンジを実践もある」is ungrammatical. It should be a typo for ヘアチェンジを実践することもある, 実践する場合もある, or 実践する例もある. –  Choko Apr 24 at 6:51

2 Answers 2

It's parsed as

[実際に(うつ病やアルツハイマーの治療として)、{(女性患者に)(化粧やヘアチェンジを)実践することもある}]くらいです。

The subject for 実践する(carry out in practice) is not written here but it should be 医者(doctor), 医療機関(medical institution) or 病院(hospital), or maybe 家族(family).

実際に in practice, in fact,
うつ病やアルツハイマーの治療として as a treatment for depression or Alzheimer's,
病院が hospitals, ← subject
女性患者に on female patients,
化粧やヘアチェンジを make-up or change of hair-style ←object
実践する carry out in practice ← verb
こともある There are cases where... ; in some cases
くらいです。even...

So it literally means:

In fact, there are even cases where they(=hospitals/doctors) carry out in practice make-up or change of hair-style on their female patients as a treatment for depression or Alzheimer's.

share|improve this answer

There are several places where I think you're getting the translation wrong (not something I am beyond myself).

実際にうつ病やアルツハイマーの治療として、女性患者に化粧やヘアチェンジを実践もあるくらいです。

Did you know (or truthfully), as a treatment for depression or alsheimers, female patients will practice using make-up or change their hair colour? Cosmetics are a medicine that can heighten your tension

実際に = in reality [I'm not sure why you're making it a question] YのXとして = as an X for Y 女性患者に = to female patients 化粧やヘアチェンジ = changing their hairstyle or makeup (not necessarily just hair color) を実践もあるくらいです = also appear to be practical. <-- on this point, you seem to be misunderstanding how 実践 means practice. It doesn't mean 練習 as in doing something, it means practical as in having a practical.

So all of that brought together = In reality, changing hair styles or cosmetics when used as medical treatment, appears to have a practical effect for female patients.

お化粧はテンションをあげてくれるお薬でもあるんですね

= Cosmetics are a medicine that can raise your spirits, aren't they?

(taking テンションをあげてくれる to mean "can raise your mood/spirits")

But noel_lapin suggests, this definitely doesn't sound like academic Japanese. Is this from cancan's sister publication or something?

share|improve this answer

Thanks for the break down, virmaior. I made it a rhetorical question because I thought it suited the text more. kotobank's definition of 実践 makes me feel like this is more of put in to practice/implementation. Thanks for the translation on the second one. I understood what it was saying but I couldn't put it down in words properly. –  user5184 Apr 19 at 12:07
could someone explain the downvote? –  virmaior Apr 19 at 14:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.