Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently working on a translation of a song ("故" by Gremlins) and I have run into something quite strange... While it is not unusual for Japanese lyricists to use kanji with a different meaning than what their singing suggests, or otherwise be creative with their lyrics, I cannot find a connection here, or even understand why he would use these kanji together.

The lyrics goes like this:

愛が故、枯れる花弁。

哀しき月明かり。

息を沈め、空溶かし、今艶を求む。

降り注ぐ優しき愛で、

あなたを愛憎しむ。

亡きを見つめ、飛び続け、尚、供膳を望む

羽ばたいて。

I am almost a hundred percent certain what he says is 'kuzen wo nozomu' but while the reading makes sense, I don't actually know what it would mean? Nozomu looks sligtly different to me too, but that could be the small font in the pamphlet, I am not sure. I haven't been able to find the kanji I see it as anywhere...

Does anyone have any suggestions? The theme is very traditional, so there could be some classical or outdated kanji use involved, but I have no clue.

share|improve this question

Did you try looking up 供膳 in a dictionary or in google? –  virmaior Apr 19 at 1:28

I have tried every online dictionary I know and google, too, of course. I don't have my actual dictionaries with me here, so I haven't been able to look through them, but it doesn't really seem like this combination is used at all... –  Visualife Apr 19 at 1:46

1 Answer 1

I found it here.

It appears to be a very formal word describing when two newlyweds have their first meal together.

Given the lyrical content, though, it may be referring to this. 供膳 in this sense refers to a ritual where food is left for deceased ancestors. If the person singing is staring down death, this may be what it is.

供膳

I am not totally sure either way, though. This is just what I found with some quick searching!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.