Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have seen and been taught many words meaning "feeling", but what is the difference between the words, and where are they used?

I have done a bit of research myself and have come up with these meanings. Are they correct? Could someone please give a more detailed explanation?

• 具合 - health related
  • 気分 - mood
  • 気持ち - inner/emotional feeling
  • 感じ - outside/perceived feeling
  • 感覚 - ?
  • 感情 - ?
  • 意識 - ?
  • 情 - ?
  • 情意 - ?
  • 心持ち - ?

Are there any others I should know about?

share|improve this question
Where are you seeing まま as feeling? –  ssb Apr 18 at 12:57
「感覚{かんかく}」 might be one. 「意識」another. –  kingyo Apr 18 at 13:07
感情 is used for emotions eg 感情的=emotional, 感情を込めて謝りました=He apologized with real feeling. 感覚 is used for sense eg 金銭感覚= sense for the value of money. –  Tim Apr 19 at 2:25
You may want to include [体調]{たい・ちょう}. It technically means "physical/bodily condition", but you hear it often in 体調がいい・悪い to mean "I feel good/bad". Basically, it's the same as 体の具合. –  istrasci Jul 1 at 14:43
Also missing: 触れる、触る –  Kaji Jul 1 at 15:21
show 4 more comments

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted
+50
  • 具合【ぐあい】 - Health / condition. It's worth noting that this doesn't apply exclusively to people, though!
    • 「エンジンの具合を調【しら】べる」 ("Check the condition of the engine.")
    • 「具合が悪【わる】いので休【やす】む」 ("I'm not feeling to good today so I'm gonna rest.")
  • 気分【きぶん】 - Mood.
    • 「仕事【しごと】をする気分になれない」 ("I can't get into the mood to do work.")
    • 「今日【きょう】は気分がのらない」 ("I'm not in the mood today.")
    • Can also be somewhat synonymous with 雰囲気【ふんいき】. 「音楽【おんがく】が会場【かいじょう】の気分を盛【も】り上【あ】げる」 ("Music really ups the mood of the meeting area.")
  • 気持【きも】ち - Feeling about something. The first definition on Kotobank says "The emotion / what you feel in your heart upon encountering something / an event taking place." Almost sort of like an opinion, but more emotional than that? Kind of difficult to define, I guess...
    • 「気持ちが変【か】わる」 ("[Subject's] feelings are changing.")
    • 「彼【かれ】の気持ちが理解【りかい】できない」 ("I can't understand the way he feels [about a particular thing happening].")
  • 感【かん】じ - Sensation or impression. Can be used in both the physical and emotional senses.
    • 「指先【ゆびさき】の感じがなくなる」 ("Lose the feeling in the tip of one's finger.")
    • 「感じのいい人【ひと】」 ("A person who seems good [/ who makes a good impression].")
    • 「春【はる】らしい感じの日【ひ】ざし」 ("Sunshine that makes it seem like a Spring day.")
  • 感覚【かんかく】 - Sense. Again, it can be used in both the physical and the more metaphorical.
    • 「寒【さむ】さで指の感覚がなくなる」 ("So cold one loses the sensation in one's finger.")
    • 「新【しん】感覚のデザイン」 ("A design made with a new sense [of style].")
  • 感情【かんじょう】 - Pure emotions. Pleasure, displeasure, like, hate, fear, anger, etc.
    • 「国民【こくみん】感情を刺激【しげき】する」 ("Stir up the emotions of the nation's people.")
  • 意識【いしき】 - Consciousness / be conscious of.
    • 「意識を取【と】り戻【もど】す」 ("Return to consciousness.")
    • 「彼女【かのじょ】の存在【そんざい】を意識する」 ("To be aware of her existence.")
  • 情【じょう】 - Emotion. A pretty broad word; kind of difficult to concisely define. Emotions, feelings, literal, more metaphysical... Lots of possibilities.
    • 「憂国【ゆうこく】の情」 ("A feeling of love for one's country.")
    • 「情の深【ふか】い人」 ("An emotional person.")
    • In certain contexts it can refer to romantic feelings specifically. 「夫婦【ふうふ】の情」 ("A couple's love.")
  • 情意【じょうい】 - Feeling in one's heart. Pretty much synonymous with 気持ち, according to my dictionary.
    • 「情意[相通]{あいつう}じる」 ("Share one's feelings.")
  • 心持【こころも】ち - One's emotional state.
    • 「心持ちのよい人」 - ("A calm [/ cool] person.")
    • Also can be synonymous with 気持ち. 「心持ちが悪【わる】い」 ("[Something that] feels bad.")

EDIT: Comments from istrasci and Kaji have presented more words, and I felt it would be good to include them!

• 体調【たいちょう】 - The condition of one's body (more generally, "health").
    • 「体調を整【ととの】える」 ("Improve one's health.")
    • 「体調が良【よ】い」 ("In good health." alternatively, per istrasci, "I feel good.")
  • 触【ふ】れる - To touch. Many nuanced definitions are available for this word, so I'll just focus on the ones that are more related to our discussion here.
    • One meaning is "to take on an emotion (usually negative?)":「怒【いか】りに触れる」 ("To anger [/ offend / upset] somebody.")
    • Another is more straight-forward: 「心【こころ】に触れる話【はなし】」 ("A talk [/ word / conversation] that touches the heart.")
  • 触【さわ】る - Also to touch, but slightly different. The only emotional definition here is negative: being angry about something.
    • 「神経【しんけい】に触る」 ("To get on one's nerves.")
    • 「癇【かん】に障【さわ】る」 ("To get on one's nerves." This isn't a typo, by the way; as far as I can tell, this is the only correct way to write this particular phrase. The meaning is very similar, though, and I felt it was relevant enough to include.)

All definitions and example sentences come from Kotobank! I can't think of any more related words, so I suppose this will do. :) If anyone has any corrections or clarifications (I'm not super confident on a couple of the translations), please do bring them up in the comments!

share|improve this answer
Eijiro has a few more. –  Igor Skochinsky Jul 1 at 17:17

Great answer thanks :) –  Alox Jul 4 at 8:54
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.