Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is な particle allowed to be used after common nouns (i.e non na-adjectives) for whatever reasons, e.g. cuteness, trendy, humor etc?

Dictionary@goo website seems to use (normal noun)+な in a couple of the column names:

Is this kind of ungrammatical usage of な particle allowed in publication?

share|improve this question

This is an excellent question on the line between nouns and those adjectives which "are really just nouns"! –  hippietrail Jun 27 '11 at 3:45

I'm not quite sure how a native speaker gets what they did on Dictionary@goo, but the line between な-adjectives and noun is definitely blurry, so it wouldn't be too surprising. –  Boaz Yaniv Jun 27 '11 at 7:11
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

This may not be the "standard" way to use な, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, especially considering how it can shorten titles and save space. JAPANなニュース and ニュースな英語 sound better than JAPANに関するニュース and ニュースに出てくる英語, don't they?

For a more extreme example of this non-standard な, you can look at the way Yui Horie signs off of her weekly radio show, 天使のたまご. This is from the June 26th, 2011 show:

この時間のお相手は「そんなにたくさん恋愛の石をつけててダメだったらどうしよう?」堀江由衣でした。

Everything in the 「」 (which she changes every week) is wrapped up by the な and used to modify 堀江由衣. Of course, just because she uses な this way doesn't mean you can start throwing なs around like shurikens in a ninja fight, but it goes to show that there are more ways to use な than are in the dictionary.

share|improve this answer
Any reason why they did not simply use の? Does using な over the standard particle の provide additional nuance/emphasis? –  Lukman Jun 27 '11 at 15:26
@Lukman: I can only speculate on that, but to me な feels less "specific" than の. To use the ニュースな英語 example, I would interpret ニュースの英語 as simply "English in the news", but ニュースな英語 sounds more like "English with a news-y feel". (Because after all, by turning something into an adjective you're assigning a certain quality, attribute, or feeling to something else.) –  Derek Schaab Jun 27 '11 at 15:52

@Derek That totally makes sense. Thanks! –  Lukman Jun 27 '11 at 16:01

@Derek btw any reason why they did not simply use no particles, as such: JAPANニュース instead of JAPANなニュース ? –  Pacerier Jun 28 '11 at 15:57

@Pacerier: That sounds purely stylistic to me, and I think to get an answer you'd have to crawl into the editor's mind. :) –  Derek Schaab Jun 28 '11 at 16:11
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.