Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The subtitles don't explain this pun/joke at all in the episode 87 of Space Brothers anime, but I'd like to figure out how it works.

There's a lot of repeating "arumi can" and "aru mikan" in the pun. The pun is obviously about an aluminum can, and if the orange can stay on top of it, but I'd like to know exactly what's going on with the sounds.

Here's the youtube video I just made with all the puns: http://youtu.be/vVsskPeb_VA

Please, help me identify the words that make these puns.

share|improve this question

He's saying アルミ缶の上に或るみかん. I talked about these kind of jokes in this answer. –  Earthliŋ Apr 17 at 16:11

Could you please include English transcription? coz I can't read Japanese yet –  user1306322 Apr 17 at 16:20

"arumi-kan no ue ni aru mikan." –  Kaji Apr 17 at 17:35
布団が吹っ飛んだ and 俺んちでオレンジ食う?were the others, just for any wondering –  ssb Apr 18 at 13:01

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

(Per the asker's request, I'll be including romaji in this answer following Japanese text where it is used.)

As Earthling noted, they're finding ways to re-use both versions of the phrase in the sentence. So we started with:

アルミ缶の上にあるミカン
Arumi-kan no ue ni aru mikan.

It uses the same 5 morae (a ru mi ka n), but changes where the split falls (in this case, before or after "mi"). In this case, it's also reasonably straightforward to interpret: An orange on top of an aluminum can.

アルミ缶の上にあるミカンの上に・・・あるミカン
Arumi-kan no ue ni aru mikan no ue ni...aru mikan!

In this case, stacking a second orange on top and getting it to stay allowed for adding one more use of it. Since み (mi) is also the Japense number for 3 (三つ mittsu), it's suggesting 3 objects, which further strengthens the pun in her favor.

アルミ缶の上にあるミカンの上にあるミカンの上にアル・・・ミカン
Arumi-kan no ue ni aru mikan no ue ni aru mikan no ue ni aru...mikan!

This one gets a shade tricky. By putting another aluminum can on the stack he's actually managed to get it in there four times. But the way the breaks turns out a bit weird, since on the last one it should break after "mi" for the can, but the girl jumped in to ensure it sounded like another orange was added instead.

Hope that helps cover what you were looking for!

share|improve this answer

Thanks for the explanation of the last bit! –  user1306322 Apr 17 at 20:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.