Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Japan I often felt いいえ or 違う is not the best choice, when asked, if I don't carry something with me. Like at the airport security lady asked me, if I there were any forbidden objects in my luggage. I can't recall the question, but it ended in ない? I felt lost for a second and she tried to help me out with a correct answer and said in a confirming tone ない, and I used her tip and said ない!

I used that couple of times in other situations. Is this okay to say it like that or should I produce a better lengthier sentence, like 何も持っていない?

share|improve this question

I would say ないです。 –  Choko Apr 15 at 15:22

Thanks for the tip Chocolate-san, that sounds nicer and polite. –  dimadesu Apr 15 at 16:33

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes. Grammatically you can say 「ない」. This forms a complete sentence, which means "(it is / that kind of stuff is) not (t)here".

However, this works only for physical existence or possession. In most cases, even when a question ends in ない?, a simple 「ない」 is not a grammatically correct answer. Like when asked 「あしたあそばない?」, the answer could be「あそばない」 but not a simple 「ない」. This is because 「ない」 shows negation, not non-existence.

share|improve this answer
To clarify, you're talking about two different types of ない. In the first paragraph you're talking about the negative form of ある; in the second one you're talking about it as the negating suffix. In the same spirit of both paragraphs, いない is a complete sentence indicating the non-existence/presence of people or other animate objects. –  Kaji Apr 15 at 13:09

Makes perfect sense guys. I just didn't seem to encounter first type of ない in my studies much, so I decided to double check. –  dimadesu Apr 15 at 13:32
Physical and also FIGURATIVE existence, perhaps? As in 「アメリカに行ったこと(ある/ない)?」「ない」 Examples kept brief/'cold' for the sake of illustrating the grammar point. –  ssb Apr 15 at 15:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.