Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm working with a translation program, trying to translate the following sentence correctly:

The attacker may use a cross-site scripting attack to do this.

The program gives me:

攻撃 者 は 、 クロス サイト スクリプティング 攻撃 を 使用 し て 行 う こと が でき る 。

I don't see the direct object 'this' from the source sentence translated. If this translated sentence followed a sentence mentioning the nature of 'this' (as would normally be the case), would the sentence seem natural (i.e. implied direct object referring to previous sentence)? Or does it seem like something is missing?

I hope I made myself clear, it's kind of hard to explain what I mean...

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

That would depend on the content of the preceding sentence(s). If it explained exactly what it is that the attacker is doing/wants to do, that Japanese sentence would be "passable".

However, even if it were explained in the preceding sentence(s), it would still be a good idea to insert a 「それを」 in front of the 「行う」. In fact, the better writers would do so regardless.

share|improve this answer

The sentence is taken from an instruction manual, and I don't know what the preceding sentence was. From the English sentence, I assume 'this' was referred to in the previous sentence. After adding some different markers (difficult to explain) to the source sentence, the program gives a different translation これを行う. I would like to know whether the first translation is also acceptable, so that I can determine if both sets of markers give an accurate translation. –  Hanne Apr 15 at 10:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.