Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

みたい as in like (someone)

If I want to say "I like people like that woman", is it enough to simply say: 女性みたいな人が好きです。 Or do I have to specify the "that" part by putting it like this: あの女性みたいな人が好きです。

Also, is it allowed to use を instead of が here if it ended with a verb? (好き is an adjective if I remember right)

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I would say 「あの女の人みたいな人が好きです」 is probably better if you're want to talk about that woman. Otherwise it may not be clear who/what exactly you're talking about. with may depend on the context though. Also, notice that I replaced 女性 with 女の人. みたい is more casual expression (than のよう) and more everyday expression 女の人 seems more suitable and in line with the level of speech.

You cannot use を in this sentence. 女の人 is the subject of the sentence, not an object. 好き is an adjective, not a transitive verb.

share|improve this answer

Very insightful! Just what I wanted. –  chlenix Apr 13 at 0:42

I don't think it's a very good idea to regard that が as a subject marker and 好き as "likable". I sometimes see learners indicate the agent of 好き with particle に, resulting a sentence like 私にそれが好き, which doesn't make sense at all. I believe it stems from the idea of "it is likable for me". A word that's equivalent to 'likable' is 好ましい, not 好き. –  user4092 Apr 13 at 2:41

@user4092 Right, I had doubts too if it explained it well. I removed this bit to not cause confusion. –  Szymon Apr 13 at 2:49

There are multiple diagnostics for subjecthood in Japanese. See The Oxford Handbook of Japanese Linguistics, pp.142-145 for three tests which show that the "nominative object" in 〜が好きだ is not a subject, along with some arguments that it is in fact an object. –  snailboat Apr 13 at 19:05

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.