Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My friend and I were talking, and they had an interesting question. How do you establish that something implies something else in Japanese - specifically in the form A implies B?

The research I've done has given me the form:

A は B を[意味]{いみ}する。

But this feels very strange. From what I can tell, that translates to "A does B's meaning," which isn't really what I'm trying to say.

For instance, I tried translating:

"My title implies that I am a doctor."

Which came out to:

私のタイトルは、私は[医者]{いしゃ}だということを[意味]{いみ}します。

This seems like an odd and roundabout translation, especially with the use of だということ. How could this be said better? Is there a standard way of saying "A implies B"?

share|improve this question

So to be clear, you're explicitly stating that A implies B, as opposed to a passive implication (e.g. using と to join sentences, where B is supposed to be a consequence of A)? –  Kaji Apr 10 at 21:55

Yes, it's supposed to be an implicit statement. –  A.A. Apr 10 at 22:10

2 Answers 2

I think you may be trying to translate too directly from Japanese from English.

Also 「A は B を意味いみする。」= A means B

I am not a native speaker but perhaps the sentence you are looking for is:

「Dr.」 という題名は 医者の資格を持つことを意味する.
The title of "Dr" indicates that this person is qualified as a medical doctor.

Note: I have used "indicates" because I think titles are meant to directly communicate not "imply", which is closer to "suggest without saying so" but even if you do "imply" your are more likely to say 「ということを意味する」 or 「 …の意味を含む」

share|improve this answer
titleって題名?肩書きじゃな((以下省略 –  Choko Apr 11 at 9:03

Chocolate: Tx, I misunderstood your comment above. BTW: 称号って違いますね –  Tim Apr 11 at 10:33
Sorry I meant to say the "title" would be [肩書]{かたが}き rather than 題名. It seems like both "Dr.の肩書き" and "Dr.の称号" are okay (however "Drの/[騎士]{knight}の称号を与えられた" sounds fine but "Drの/[騎士]{knight}の肩書きを与えられた" sounds strange.) –  Choko Apr 11 at 16:13

I think 示【しめ】すis a better word for this as it means to "illustrate", "indicate" or "express":

私の肩書【かたが】きは医者【いしゃ】だということを示【しめ】している。

share|improve this answer

titleって題名?肩書きじゃなくて? –  Choko Apr 11 at 6:49

Yes you're right, I'll correct that. –  DaniG2k Apr 11 at 8:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.