Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm working with a computer translation program and the output I got was this:

ぞれは一般的です。

I'm trying to determine whether this is a correct translation for 'That is common.' Alc gives 誰でも知っている[やっている・使っている]一般的 when I look up common, which has me thinking that the sense of the sentence is wrong.

The source sentence is: 'This type of implementation of the <do> tag on mobile devices is very common'.

share|improve this question

I think the intention in the source sentence is 'it happens frequently' or something like that. –  Hanne Apr 10 at 14:35
Are you sure it's ぞれは, not それは? –  Choko Apr 11 at 9:11

Oops, no, that's a typo. –  Hanne Apr 14 at 7:54

2 Answers 2

I would say it means "That is typical." Or 'That's not uncommon."

As with most short Japanese sentences like that, to make a translation into English, it depends on what kind of context is surrounding it.

share|improve this answer

The source sentence is: 'This type of implementation of the <do> tag on mobile devices is very common'. –  Hanne Apr 10 at 14:30

@Hanne It would be best if you gave any available context in your question so that answers can be specific. (There are a lot of ways to say "is very common", but some are more formal than others, for example.) –  snailboat Apr 10 at 14:32

Yes I guess you're right... I didn't want to complicate things, but it does need context. –  Hanne Apr 10 at 14:35

それは一般的です

Is more like, "that is commonplace."

While it's not incorrect, I'd say something along the lines of

このモバイル・デバイス上のタグ実装手法はごく普通のである。

ごく普通 = fairly common/normal

or

このモバイル・デバイス上のタグ実装手法は非常に平凡のである。

非常に平凡 = extremely common/standard

Although extremely standard is a bit of an oxymoron.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.