Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just came across this in a magazine 'トライしてみて'.

I know it's saying 'try', but does it actually make grammatical sense? Would I be able to use that in a formal situation, or is it just to sound cute.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

I think the piece of the puzzle which you are missing is that トライする means "to try". ~する is the most common pattern for loans to turn into Japanese verbs (with some exceptions, like ググる etc.).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Yes, it is grammatically correct. It's of the form 〜てみる which means "to do 〜 and see how it goes/turns out". 〜てみる is fine for formal situations (actually, 〜てご[覧]{らん}ください is even more formal), but the トライする is not.

However, トライしてみて is not just "cutesy" either. It's perfectly fine to use in (most/all?) familiar situations. For more formal situations, you can say {やって・試して・試みて} + {みて・ご覧} + ください.

share|improve this answer
I am just confused by the need to add 'トライ' to 'してみて'. Isn't it like saying 'try trying' or 'try doing trying'? surely 'してみて' on its own would be fine :/ –  Heather Apr 9 at 23:01
@Heather Instead of thinking of してみて simply as "try", think of it as "do (eat/watch/listen to) something and see how it is". –  alexhatesmil Apr 9 at 23:18
Yeah I think トライしてみる is like [試]{ため}してみる, which is made of 試す(try) + してみる(try ~ing) but sounds perfectly fine –  Choko Apr 10 at 0:46

Thanks, that's very helpful! –  Heather Apr 10 at 8:46
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.