Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When we have a する verb (e.g. 支度する、案内する、心配する), is it true that we could optionally insert an を particle in between the noun and the する?

Because in the example sentences here and here, we can see this usage (the usage of を particle appearing between the noun and the する).

So basically am I right to say that for all する verbs, we can optionally include (or exclude) an を particle in between the noun and the する?

If not, how exactly should we decide whether or not to include that を? I mean I know with a lot of usage we will just know it, but are there any rules that we can apply here?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Here are the only two exceptions I can think of where you absolutely can't insert "を":

If the construction wasn't based on をする but とする like さっぱりする→◯さっぱりとする ☓さっぱりをする

If the construction is "merged" single character する verbs like 動じる/動ずる、案じる/案ずる、命じる/命ずる、失する、課する、罰する etc.

However, it's uncommon to just add を in in many cases - so the result may be awkward if it's without precedent. Basically, adding an を adds emphasis on the noun the verb comes from, rather than the action that する notes. Think of 支度をする and 支度する as "to do preparations" vs. "to prepare" - either sound fine, but 誘拐をする and T "to do(?) a kidnapping" vs. "to kidnap" It's not exactly like that, but I guess I'm trying to show how some cases like with 誘拐 it would sound awkward.

Also something to note is that if you're adding a "を" for instance with 掃除をする. You can't add another "を". 部屋を掃除をする you would write it as 部屋の掃除をする - however this isn't a problem if you've omitted the を. For instance with 子どもを誘拐する. Again, 子どもの誘拐をする would be grammatically "correct" but would sound extremely "off".

share|improve this answer

+1 Great answer! –  Amanda S Jun 26 '11 at 18:24

heys thx for the help =D –  Pacerier Jun 26 '11 at 19:27
With 「~とする」 it's actually a と-adverb construct so using 「を」 would be silly. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 26 '11 at 19:32

btw do you know why is it that 課する is considered a "merged suru verb" ? –  Pacerier Jul 5 '11 at 22:22

@Pacerier mainly just because it's its a single character's ON reading + suru (as it is in all other examples), but also because my dictionary lists it as (vs-s) rather than (vs). –  Kafka Fuura Jul 6 '11 at 5:35

I can't think of any long and detailed answer for that (sorry), but the short answer is:
Most of the times, yes.

For most verbs it seems like the choice between ~をする and ~する is entirely flexible. I think the actual difference between these forms may be related to focus: adding を puts a greater focus on the specific action described by the verb. Then again, I may be utterly wrong here.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.