Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm not sure my translation for this brief conversation is correct, particularly the last sentence, so would like it double checked please.

カレン: ニールさんは音楽の学生ですね。

ニール: そうですが、どうして?

カレン: バイオリンを習おうと思っているんですが、いい先生を知りませんか。

Karen: Neil you're a music student aren't you?

Neil: That’s right but why do you ask?

Karen: Well I've been thinking of learning the violin so do you know any good teachers?

A couple of things: the が in the last sentence is confusing me as I can't see how a 'but' would really fit in, what would be the difference between 習うと思っている and 習おうと思っている and I was initially flummoxed by the 知りませんか but I think it’s a request form question now.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Your translation is correct. However, this isn't the "but" one. It's the "softener" one. I can't think of a way to translate it (if there even is one), but it's often used to make one's own desires/actions seem less direct and a little more humble.

Ex.

• 聞きたいことがあるんですが... → There's something I'd like to ask you...

The difference between 習うと思っている and 習おうと思っている is the former would be used to indicate "I think <someone else> will learn" vs. "I'm thinking I'd like to learn". 〜(よ)うと思う is a very common form for expressing a desired, yet uncertain intention.

share|improve this answer
Even when used as a softener it's still acting as "but", however the second clause is often omitted in such cases. A common example of this is when declining an invitation: "I'd love to, but [I really would rather not]..." It allows people to save face by not having to express unpleasant points. –  Kaji Apr 8 at 18:04
You don't say する・習う+と思っている for "I'm thinking of ~~ing". You can say しよう・習おう+と思っている, したい・習いたい+と思っている, する・習う+つもりだ etc... –  Choko Apr 9 at 5:25

習うと思っている in that context doesn't make sense. 私は習うと思っている basically means "I think you/he/she/they will learn it". when the agent of learning is the speaker himself, it indicates some conditional situation and doesn't mean the speaker actually has intention to learn. –  user4092 Apr 9 at 11:36

カレン: バイオリンを習おうと思っているんですが、いい先生を知りませんか。

As written, が is being used as a gentle lead-in. It's adding a sense of "I'm probably bothering you by asking, but...".

I don't know if this is correct, but I think the construction 習おうと思っている could be translated literally as 'I'm thinking (to myself): let's learn'. 習おう is the same construction you would use to suggest doing something. You could for example say 日本語を習おう (meaning: Let's learn Japanese!)

This is not really correct, in my opinion. 習おうと思っている (and in general volitional form + と思っている) is a way of describing your not very committed plans or intentions. So literal translation is not a proper way of translating that phrase. –  Szymon Apr 10 at 21:03

I didn't mean to suggest that you actually translate it literally. Now that I reread my comment that does seem to be my intention though... It's just that I have always wondered whether this expression could have originated that way, and thinking of this literal translation helps me remember the proper translation of this construction. –  Hanne Apr 14 at 7:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.