Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Last week I've stumbled upon a japanese song and have been struggling with the translation ever since. Here are the culprit lines:

[連]{つ}れていって

[知]{し}らない[世界]{せかい}

ずっと[手]{て}を[放]{はな}さないで

[魔法]{まほう}みたいあなたしか[見]{み}えない[全]{すべ}てが[初]{はじ}めての[私]{わたし}

So far I've come up with the following:

Take me
[to] The unknown world
Never let go of my hand
Like magic, I can't see anything but you ... everything is?? ... the new me??

To a newbie like me this [全]{すべ}てが[初]{はじ}めての[私]{わたし} doesn't make a lot of sense in the given context (and [初]{はじ}めての[私]{わたし} by itself... "the first me"? "first time for me"? "the new me"?..). How should I interpret the last line of the song?

share|improve this question

I think, but am not sure, that 全が初めて is a nominal phrase modifying 私, as in "me, for whom everything is new". あなたしか見えない is also modifying 私. You might have realized this but I think 魔法みたい might have a double meaning in "want to see" and "looks like". –  無色受想行識 Apr 6 at 20:12

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

First, I checked the lyrics on two different websites to find that, on both, there was a space after the 「魔法みたい」, which would mean that we need to treat it as an independent phrase.

"It's like magic."

Lyrics: http://lyrics.jetmute.com/viewlyrics.php?id=274938

「あなたしか見えないすべてが初めての私」 is the Japanese equivalent of an English relative clause --- "A me who ~~~~~". Everything that comes before 「私」 modifies 「私」.

"A me who cannot see anything but you and to whom everything is new."

share|improve this answer

But in this case shouldn't there be some particle between 見えない and 初めて ? –  Oleg Apr 7 at 20:47

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.