Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Lately, I've been wondering what's the meaning of past tense verb connected to 上で, like in the 3 examples below:

両親とよく相談した上で、留学することにした。

家を買う場合は、十分調べた上で、決めた方がいい。

よく考えた上で、返事をするつもりだ。

As always, thanks in advance for explanation. Have a good day and take care!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It means "after doing 〜". Almost like 〜てから.

• 両親とよく相談した上で、留学することにした。 → After discussing it with my parents, I decided that I'll study abroad.
  • 家を買う場合は、十分調べた上で、決めた方がいい。 → When you buy a house, you should choose (it) after doing sufficient research.
  • よく考えた上で、返事をするつもりだ。 → I intend to reply after careful consideration.

There is some other nuance I believe, but I'll have to look it up later. The nuance to it is that the second action is performed based on the result of the first action (as @TokyoNagoya mentioned). With 〜てから, no such relationship is required, meaning that it simply indicates temporal order. For example

○ 昼食を食べてから銀行に行く → "I'll go to the bank after I eat lunch" → Going to the bank doesn't depend on me eating lunch; simply states the order of what I'm doing.
?/× 昼食を食べた上で銀行に行く → It introduces a dependency for going to the bank on eating lunch. Almost like "As a result of eating lunch, I'll go to the bank." Doesn't make much sense.

share|improve this answer
The nuance is, as the word 「上」 might suggest, that Action B should be performed "based upon" the result of Action A. –  l'électeur Apr 1 at 22:37

This is just a supplement to the above answer & comment.

Your question was specific to ~た上で (so I won't expand unless you expand the question) but FYI there are other different uses of 〜上. I found the following sentence (from one the Soumatome-goi series) helpful to remember:

地図の上では近いのに  

行ってみると 

遠い上に、ひどい道だった  

よく調べた上で行けばよかった。

On the map it looked close, but

when I actually went there,

it was far and the roads were bad.

I should have checked before I went.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.