Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The sentence is taken from a manga in which the character kills people at a TV station in order to threaten the world :

おはよう世界の諸君...これからほんのわずかな時間だけ...

Hello (ladies and gentlemen of the) world... for only a very short time...

テレビにおジャマさせてもらう事にした。

???

The first thing I'm not sure about is if テレビに is the agent of もらう and something like お前たちを is implicit: I received the favor from the television to let me disturb you.

The second is the combination of させてもらう and 事にする which to my understanding means "decide to" : is it a way of being ironic? like I decided the TV would kindly let me (kill them and) disturb you guys.

Thanks for your help.

share|improve this question

As far as I know ことにした is neutral. “~させてもらう” means “(you) please let me do”, but is often (arguable wrongly) used as a humble(謙譲語) or polite (丁寧語) way to say “I will do”. It doesn't need to be ironic, but in this context, the speaker might be a little 慇懃無礼. –  Yang Muye Apr 1 at 20:37

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

「これからほんのわずかな時間だけ... テレビにおジャマさせてもらう事にした。」

The agent of もらう is the speaker, not television. The speaker is the one who wants to be the receiver of a favor. (In this case, he wants to make himself be the receiver of a favor by force.)

There is no 「お[前]{まえ}たちを」 implied anywhere in this sentence. Is that used in another place in the same context? The thing is this person's speech style is actually fairly polite, so a derogatory word like 「お前たち」 would not fit in. I wonder if it is possible that your knowledge of the story is making you see things that are not in the actual text.

「~~させてもらう」 means "to take the liberty of doing ~~". It is not that the speaker was asked to make an appearance on TV, is it?

"I have decided to take the liberty of interrupting you all on TV for a few seconds."

share|improve this answer

Hmm, I'm not sure I get it, do you mean that the speaker is both the subject and the agent? (I'm not sure I'm using the right english terms here, by agent I mean B in Aは/が Bに/から V-てもらう : A benefits from B's action, hence B is called "agent" in french, and A "grammatical subject"). Also, I didn't know させてもらう meant "to take the liberty of doing", is it always the case? –  Alox Apr 1 at 22:59

And yeah, 「お前たちを」 was a bad choice of word, what I meant is that 「おじゃまする」 must have an implicit direct object 「諸君を」? that you have in your translation too : "interrupting YOU ALL". Or maybe it's interrupting the TV? I don't really get the function of テレビに if it's not the "agent" of おじゃまさせてもらう... Sorry to bother you with all this questions –  Alox Apr 1 at 23:02

OK, my comments are confusing, here is how I understand the construction, please tell me where I'm wrong : 「Bが Cを 邪魔する」 : B disturbs/interrupts C         「Aが Bに Cを 邪魔させる」 : A makes/lets B disturb/interrupt C        「Aに Bが Cを 邪魔させてもらう」 : B Benefits from the fact that A makes/lets him disturb C. And in my mind, Aに was 「テレビに」, Bが was the speaker and Cを was the implicit 「諸君を」 I was refering to (using 「お前たちを」 improperly)... –  Alox Apr 1 at 23:33

@Alox:(Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but) I think TN's translation makes it clear that テレビに indicates the location where the disturbance is taking place, ie on people's TVs. The に not marking the object or agent. (And I think it is に not で because you "appear" on TV, as in 「テレビに出る」) –  Tim Apr 2 at 1:55

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.