Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a previous question about コーヒー割り I learned that 割り is a form of the verb 割{わ}る "to dilute".

Now I'm trying to understand the grammatical process by which this 割り form of 割る can be added to nouns such as 水 and コーヒー.

I've learned that 割り is the -i form, conjunctive, continuative, or 連用形{れんようけい} form of the verb. In fact it turns out that I keep asking questions about this form from different angles, not realizing it's the same thing each time!

Now when I look up Wikipedia to learn more about this form and how it is being used in コーヒー割り I actually find that -i forms are usually used as prefixes.

So this must be an "unusual" case since it appears to be being used like a suffix. What is this particular use of the -i form? How can I understand and use constructions of this type generally?

share|improve this question
@hippietrail You need to have a score of 5 to vote on a synonym suggestion. That's a pretty annoying and limiting... –  Szymon Mar 31 at 9:58
@Szymon For the time being, it's better to propose tag synonyms through meta and allow a moderator to create them. The existing system doesn't work too well for smaller beta sites. –  snailboat Mar 31 at 13:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

-i form of a verb, among other things, can be used to form nouns that are derived from this verb. For example

to discount (v) -> discount (n): 割り{わり}引く{びく} -> 割引{わりびき}

to rest/to have take a day off (v) -> rest/holiday (n): 休{やす}む -> 休{やす}み

to apply (v) -> application (n): 申{もう}し込{こ}む -> 申{もう}し込{こ}み

So I believe this is not the case of a verb form being a suffix but rather of a noun formed from a verb.

This is also similar in case of words from your previous question. For example, my dictionary shows the following example for 水割り, which suggests it being a noun:

水割りをもう一杯ください。

share|improve this answer

Ah so it's somewhat like an English gerund / present participle or infinitive? –  hippietrail Mar 31 at 9:57

I'm not sure if you can make a direct comparison to English in this case. Note that sometimes in English the form of verb and noun is the same, e.g. cited above discount, sometimes changes. –  Szymon Mar 31 at 10:00

Yes that's why I said "somewhat". You can almost never make direct comparisons between any features of any two languages really. –  hippietrail Mar 31 at 10:01
@hippietrail Most any 連用形 of a verb can be used like a noun. But 連用形 of adjectives are different and can't be used like nouns, with a few exceptions. (Some linguists suggest that the two don't form a coherent category, but many follow traditional grammar in treating them as the same thing because of their other similarities.) –  snailboat Mar 31 at 13:11

This is just a thought that is too long for a comment but based on the following 水割り seems to be the natural order:

To dilute with water = 水で割る ー> 水割り

To take a 1/10th, or 10% = 一割 (same order); 15%= 一割5分 (seems logical)

If we look at other words containing 割り then the order they come is consistent with what you would expect in long form, eg:

Ratio: 割合 would be consistent with 割り合う

(I have never seen this verb used but 合う will normally be the second verb in a construction such as 話し合う)

Allotment: 割り当て would be consistent with 割り当てる

(which does exist)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.