Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

i know 逃す is like let someone escape (but you tried to prevent it), and 逃がす is let someone escape (but you didn't try to prevent it)

How about the causative form of 逃げる, which is 逃げさせる?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

I would definitely need to add the furigana.

[逃]{のが}す: Unintentional - "to fail to catch". You tried to catch something but did not succeed. "Not catching" was not intentional though that was the result.

[逃]{に}がす: Intentional - "to set one free". You meant to let him go.

[逃]{に}げさせる: Intentional - "to let or allow one to escape" You meant to do so.

share|improve this answer

? I've definitely heard 「逃すな!」 in some anime somewhere before. 使い方間違ったかな? –  Trevor Alexander Mar 30 at 10:16

We do say 「[逃]{のが}すな!」 to mean "Catch it/him!". By "unintentional", I mean to say that if you failed to catch something, that was not intentional. You made the effort to catch it but failed as a result. –  非回答者 Mar 30 at 10:27

「逃のがすな!」〜 "Don't let him get away!" –  Tim Mar 30 at 15:00

@TrevorAlexander, there are many verbs that are technically volitional verbs, e.g. they have potential forms, but their potential forms and imperative forms are more often used in negative sentences. e.g. 悲しく思わないで, 死ぬな, 失敗するな, 恥ずかしがらないで, 心配しないで, etc. –  Yang Muye Mar 30 at 19:12
You can also say にがすな! with the same meaning (i.e. the unintentional reading). –  dainichi Mar 31 at 1:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.