Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the most common word in Japanese?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

The most common word, according to pretty much all the frequency lists I've found, is:

する

Although if you count particles and auxiliaries, then is probably the most common.

Sources:

share|improve this answer
I'm surprised to see ぬ in the top 50. Where does it come from... –  Yang Muye Mar 30 at 0:35

not うん…?! Unbelievable. –  Trevor Alexander Mar 30 at 3:06

This seems strange to me. It's like saying "... although if you count articles and prepositions, then the is probably the most common." for English. Particles, auxiliaries, prepositions, and articles are just kinds of words. Then again the OP didn't specify. –  hippietrail Mar 30 at 7:23
@hippietrail It depends on your theory of grammar. Do you consider 及ばない one word or two? Is 私の one word or two? The truth is, "word" isn't well-defined. –  snailboat Mar 30 at 9:24

@snailboat: That is certainly true, which is why an answer shouldn't be based on one arbitrarily chosen definition of "word". At least you hedged your bets and gave both answers though (-: –  hippietrail Mar 30 at 9:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.