Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Recently I came across this sentence in a computing-related technical document:

some software と連携させ、 some feature のカスタマイズを作成します。

I get the meaning (after having integrated some product, we will customize some feature), but my question is:

In this sentence, does させ come from the verb 刺す or just する ?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

する--or to be more precise, させる. It is one way to abbreviate させる when used in the middle of a sentence (more commonly you would see させて).

share|improve this answer
Not an abbreviation so much as another way to connect words other than ーて –  bdonlan Jun 1 '11 at 0:44

However, using the -ます stem for transitions is, at times, not the same as using the -て form. The -ます stem transition implies that the preceding action is completed before the succeeding action begins, whereas the -て form can be used to express both this and two actions which overlap, either partially or completely. –  Derek Schaab Jun 1 '11 at 1:57

@DerekSchaab, that sounds backwards -- compound verbs, where two verb senses are combined into one action, are essentially [verb 1 in stem form][verb 2], as in 食べきる, 出来上がる, or 追いかける. The て auxiliary (i.e. verb ending) probably grew out of the 連用形{れんようけい} or continuative form of old perfective auxiliary つ. See the Daijirin entry here for more. (Scroll down to the seventh entry, starting with: 完了の助動詞「つ」の連用形からでたものといわれる。) In other words, て implies that the preceding action is done: [verb 1] and then [verb 2]. –  Eiríkr Útlendi Jun 6 at 5:16

Just する. 連携する -> 連携させ is correct, 刺す has separate meaning.

Perfectly valid answer too, but Amanda answered first. –  Nicolas Raoul Jun 1 '11 at 1:18

I believe it comes from an old conjugation of す, which led to modern する. You can see all of its conjugations here.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.