Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my earlier question "Line of code" in Japanese I was trying to figure out a word for the following sentence:

余計【よけい】な行【ぎょう】を抜く【ぬく】と状況【じょうきょう】が直った【なおった】。 "Once the unnecessary lines were removed, things worked properly."

In the exchange that followed, it was pointed out that while the intended meaning is discernible, it has a distinctly translated-into-Japanese feeling. What is a better way of expressing my intent per the translation above?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

「状況が直った」 sounds kind of informal and depending on who you are speaking to, it could sound a little bit unadultlike. How about a 「状況が[改善]{かいぜん}した or された」?

「余計な」 would sound too colloquial here. I would use 「[不要]{ふよう}な」 or 「[不必要]{ふひつよう}な」.

「抜く」 also sounds conversational. You might go with 「[削除]{さくじょ}する」

Examples:

「不要な行を削除したところ、状況が改善した。」

「不要な行を削除したところ、状況に改善が見られた。」 ← My best TL.

share|improve this answer

So it sounds like the problem was more a matter of formality than being unnatural perhaps. Setting 余計 aside, is this due mostly to the lack of 漢語 in my original sentence? –  Kaji Mar 27 at 4:29

In short, yes. I assumed this was for business and we use lots of on-reading words in business. –  非回答者 Mar 27 at 6:13

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.