The structure strikes me because the underlying transformation seems to be like this:

[ あなたが ] [ この文の  ~ところを ] [ おかしいと ] 思う
[ あなたが ] [ この文の  _____ ] [ おかしいと ] 思う ところは~

Another similar example is:

[ 僕が ] [ 君の  ~ところが ] 好きだ
[ 僕が ] [ 君の  _____ ] 好きな ところは~

This structure is unusual because the adjective 君の does not modify anything after transformation. The grammatical word order should have been:

[ [ 僕が ]  [ ________ ] 好きな ] [ 君の ] [ _ ] ところは~

Here is my question:

1. Is it possible to say, 僕が君の 好きな/好きだと思う のは、そういうところだ (I suppose no).
  2. Apart from と思う and 好きだ, are there any other verbs can be used in this way?
    Interesting question, but I think you could improve it by explaining what you find strange about the sentences. How do you attempt to parse them? Do you interpret the の as possessive-の or relative-clause-が-turned-の? Is the reason you want to move あなたが that that would allow you to parse the の as a possessive の?
    – dainichi
    Mar 21, 2014 at 12:11
    あなたがこの文のおかしいと思うところは is natural. この文のおかしいとあなたが思うところは sounds awkward, but it is acceptable in conversation not a written sentence. この文の、おかしいとあなたが思うところは may be better. この文について、おかしいとあなたが思うところは is natural.
    – user4688
    Mar 21, 2014 at 13:09
    僕が君のすきなところ is natural. 君の僕が好きなところ is acceptable in conversation, but you need a pause between 君の and 僕が好きなところ. On the contrary, there needs no pause to say 僕が君のすきなところ, it's natural and smooth.
    – user4688
    Mar 21, 2014 at 13:24
    @noel_lapin, it seems that when multiple の and が are used, the word order becomes important or it will be difficult to understand.
    – Yang Muye
    Mar 21, 2014 at 18:11
    @Kokoroatari 「僕が好きな君のところ」はちょっと変ですね・・・「好きな+ところ」は、切れないのかも?
    – user1016
    Jul 15, 2014 at 5:18

2 Answers 2

natural / acceptable

僕が 君を 好きだと思うのは そういうところだ
僕が 君を 好きに思うのは そういうところだ
僕が 君を 好きなのは そういうところだ
僕は 君の ~が 好きだ
僕は 君の ~なところが 好きだ
僕は 君の ~を 好きだと思う
僕が 好きなところは 君の ~だ

not possible

僕が 君の 好きな/好きだと思う のは、そういうところだ (君「の」is not possible)

for 「思う」
○「感じる」 △「考える」

natural

この文の中で あなたが おかしいと 思うところは?
あなたが この文の中で おかしいと 思うところは?

not in dayly use

この文章について、あなたがおかしいと思うところを挙げなさい (テストでの設問)

acceptable

あなたが この文で おかしいと 思うところは?

not acceptable

あなたが この文の おかしいと 思うところは? (この文「の」is not possible)

I know this question is old, but I'll give my answer.

Natural/unnatural aside, the OP is asking specifically about the structure of the sentence

あなたがこの文のおかしいと思うところは?

It is true that this structure is a bit unusual and not so straight forward for a English speaker, but here's how to break it down:

[あなたが][[この文のおかしい]と思う][ところ]は?

この文のおかしいと思う is what we'd call a relative clause in English that modifies ところ, and means

[1この文]の[2おかしい]と[3思う][4ところ]
[4places] that [3(you) think] [1this article] is [2strange]

Why の? Well, that's because in ancient Japanese, の and が were interchangeable. Look up のーが conversion. That practice is still around today, but its use is restricted to subordinate clauses only.

For example: 海の見える街 = 海が見える街 but 見て!海が見える ≠ 見て!海の見える. In fact, the latter is just plain wrong in Modern Japanese. So

この文おかしいと思うところ = この文おかしいと思うところ

So to your question:

1. Yes grammatically I find no problem with 僕は君の好きなのは…, but virtually no one speaks like this. It’s grammatical but not idiomatic.
  2. As I said, のーが conversion applies in most, if not all, relative clauses so 海の見える街 雰囲気の悪いところ and お金のない人 are all examples.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .