Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Ornament
I have an ornament, the picture, and I do not know what it means. I'm not even sure if it's Japanese but any help would be gladly taken.

share|improve this question

I'm coming up with a near hit on 祿, but that doesn't quite hit the mark in my opinion. It's got 示 on the left and 水 on the bottom right. It's the top right that's throwing me off here... –  Kaji Mar 20 at 19:04
禄 roku is the salary for samurai warriors in the feudal era. –  noel_lapin Mar 20 at 21:08

There were 元禄 genroku years in the Edo Tokugawa shogunate. –  noel_lapin Mar 20 at 21:09
禄/祿 >>> en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E7%A5%BF Wiktionary says it also means blessing, prosperity, happiness... –  Choko Mar 21 at 4:10

1 Answer 1

After looking at this and using rikaikun (Chrome Extension):

enter image description here

Looking it up in Tagaini Jisho gives me the ろく entry, but the top-right radical is written differently, even though one of the listed components is "彑". (A variant of 彑 is 彐 or ⺕).

enter image description here

It appears to be a kanji character that's used sparingly in Japanese, probably 人名用漢字 (JinmeiyouKanji) (Kanji used for names), but the image you gave shows an unsimplified version.

share|improve this answer

Ninja eyes! good job. I wonder why @chocolate didn't write an answer lol –  Worthy7 Apr 8 at 13:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.