Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I thought I knew this but it has just been explained to me in Japanese class and now I am totally confused.

I had always thought と was "and" but apparently it more usually means "or"; when you want to use "and" you should use し at the ends of words? Is this right?

Or is し only for reasons? Surely there are cases where its borderline if you're giving reasons?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

と does, in fact, mean "and" in most cases (the only exception I can think of offhand would be when placed after verbs, which is loosely similar to 〜ば or 〜たら). Usually it's used when you're defining a group:

[俺]{おれ}は[武]{たけし}と[夏美]{なつみ}と[東京]{とうきょう}へ[行]{い}った。 "I went to Tokyo with Takeshi and Natsumi."

or giving an exhaustive list of something:

[八百屋]{やおや}で[林檎]{りんご}とニンジンとピーマンと[買]{か}うつもり。 "I'm planning to buy apples, carrots, and peppers at the grocery store."

If you're not intending to give an exhaustive list, you can use や instead of と here to imply that there's more you're not including.

し, on the other hand, is for giving reasons. For example, take the following exchange:

A: どうして[学校]{がっこう}に[来]{こ}なかったの? "Why didn't you come to school?"

B: [熱]{ねつ}があったし、[咳]{せき}もあったし、[宿題]{しゅくだい}がまだやってなかったしもうムリだったんだ。 "It wasn't possible, what with having a fever and a cough, and not having done my homework yet, either."

As with when you're listing things with と, even the last reason in the list should have し after it before going into the explanation, if presented. That said, し doesn't have to be for giving a long list of excuses; it's fine to use it to give just a single reason, like in the response below:

B: [行]{い}きたくなかったし・・・ "Because I didn't want to..."

share|improve this answer

It's probably also worth making a note about the register difference. –  Darius Jahandarie Mar 20 at 18:41

so し is only reasons and nothing more and for everything else と/や applies as I had thought before the teacher confused me? –  user3408758 Mar 21 at 0:02

Indeed, that's the case. –  Kaji Mar 21 at 0:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.