Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm steadily learning the language, but sometimes I find these little things I cantt really grasp. Today doing some reading for fun I found this particular sentence

"彼奴め調子にのってやがりますから、我らでこらしめてやりましょう"

The part about "彼奴め" and the "のってやがりますから” are the ones giving me the most trouble. I can get a basic grasp of what it's trying to convey, but I want to be able to learn how to utilize that construction correctly in the future should I need to.

Could someone please share some insight on it? The context is referring to a group plotting against someone.

Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question
Do you have a more specific question you might be able to ask about it? –  ssb Mar 17 at 5:02

Surelly do. The part about "彼奴め" and the "のってやがりますから” are the ones giving me the most trouble. I can get a basic grasp of what it's trying to convey, but I want to be able to learn how to utilize that construction correctly in the future should I need to. –  Terrier Mar 17 at 5:11

1 Answer 1

The structure of the sentence is :

"Reason (1st half) + Action taken for that reason (2nd half)."

Vocabulary:

[彼奴]{きゃつ}め : a most disdainful singular third-person pronoun

[調子]{ちょうし}に[乗]{の}る : to press one's luck

やがる : a verb suffix expressing contempt

こらしめる : to teach one a lesson, to punish

My own TL attempt:

"The bastard is really pressing his luck; Let's give him a lesson!"

share|improve this answer

First of all, I really appreciate you taking your time to answer this! About the question though, are there any grammatical rules attached to the usage of やがる (like having to use -て形, etc)? Again, thanks for answering! –  Terrier Mar 17 at 7:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.