Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading a comic and came across the following usage of 勝 which confused me.

この試合でオレを三橋に勝たしてくれ!

I know what it means (Help me beat Mihashi in this game), but I'm not sure about how to parse "勝たしてくれ". "くれ" looks like it comes from "くれる", and I want to say that "して" is the connective form of "する", yet I've been completely unable to find a noun or suru-verb "勝た" in any of my dictionaries. The other possibility I considered was "勝たして" came from a verb "勝たす", but once again I couldn't find any such verb. What's going on here?

share|improve this question

On the first page of search results for 勝たす, I find this Wiktionary entry. Where did you look for 勝たす? (Conventional dictionaries usually don't list all inflections of a verb. I doubt OED has an entry for "to let so. win" or "won".) –  Earthliŋ Mar 16 at 21:23

I searched on Jisho and on the Midori app on my phone, without any relevant results. Edit: Also, the conjugation table for Midori only lists the "standard" form, kataseru. –  Yesteryear Mar 16 at 22:52

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

勝たす is a rougher variant of 勝たせる - the causative form of 勝つ. So it would be something like "[Please] let me defeat Mihashi".

share|improve this answer

「[勝]{か}たしてくれ」 is only the colloquial form of 「勝たせてくれ」.

「勝たせ」 is the [連用形]{れんようけい} (continuative form) of the causative verb 「勝たせる = "to let win" or "to make win"」. Needless to say, 「勝たせる」 consists of the verb 「勝つ = "to win"」 and the auxiliary verb 「せる = "to cause to"」. 

「て」 is a connective particle.

「くれ」 is the [命令形]{めいれいけい} (imperative form) of the verb 「くれる」

「(Person) + に + 勝たしてくれ」 = "Let me beat/defeat (Person)."

Other examples of the colloquial せ-to-し change:

「見して = "Show me."」、「行かして = "Let me go."」、「やらして = "Let me do it for ya"」, etc.

share|improve this answer
I had written up an answer like this, but was unsure because Wiktionary lists 勝たす as a variant causative form and the other answer claims that 勝たす is a "rougher variant". I thought that 勝たして was just the result of a sound change せ to し, but realised that I don't know any formal rule for forming the causative form. –  Earthliŋ Mar 17 at 1:33

@Earthliŋ: ...formal rule for forming the causative form. +10 alliteration points. –  istrasci Mar 17 at 3:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.