Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just wanted to make sure that my understanding is correct.

When saying Chapter 22, Act 22, or Episode 22 (basically parts of a larger piece), it normally starts with 第22 (or 第[number]) and then the counter. Right? And 第 is another way of saying 目? Basically -th, ie.: fifth, sixth, second, first, ninth. So all I need is the counter for the word I'm using. For instance, the counter for "chapter" is: 章. And the counter for "episode", according to this thread, is: 話.

Is my understanding correct?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

You are correct on for "episode" and for "chapter" (the Bible in Japanese uses for chapter). I'm not sure about "act", but multiple searches show [幕]{まく}. Also related is [巻]{かん} for "volume" and [場]{ば} for "scene".

share|improve this answer

ie the first act of a play = 劇の第1幕 (which is logical as the curtain often comes down at the end of an act to change the scenery). Seems that 段 can also be used for scene (which is logical as an act is split up into sections) –  Tim Mar 13 at 23:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.