Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Recently, the が particle has been a little iffy for me especially with adjectives.

Some nouns when modified by an adjective can seemingly use が and は interchangeably while others cannot, is this correct? Can you guys confirm my understanding here and elaborate/explain some of the nuances I may be misunderstanding.

So, from my understanding the following 3 examples are grammatically correct and translate as follows. However, is there any fundamental difference between example 1 and 3 where one sentence uses は while the other uses が ? What kind of situations would one use が as opposed to は in these types of sentences?

1.) アイスクリームが美味しいです -> Ice cream is delicious

2.) アイスクリームのほうが美味しいです -> Ice cream is more delicious

3.) アイスクリームは美味しいです -> Ice cream is delicious

However, there seems to be a subset of adjectives like 好き, 嫌い, 上手, 下手 and so forth in which は would be inappropriate and not make sense. Is this correct?

4.) アイスクリームが好きです -> I like Ice cream (appropriate usage of particle, が)

5.) アイスクリームは好きです -> I like Ice cream (doesn't make sense needs が)

Thanks!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

が sounds like you have a topic already, for example you're talking about desserts at a particular restaurant:

アイスクリームが美味しいです。
Out of the desserts at this restaurant, the ice cream is delicious.

This is just how you express the comparative in Japanese:

アイスクリームのほうが美味しいです。
Ice cream is more delicious.

は sounds like you want to talk about ice cream "out of the blue":

アイスクリームは美味しいです。
Let's talk about ice cream. Ice cream is delicious.

These "adjectives" are adjectives English, but in Japanese need a "topic" (marked by は) and a "subject" (marked by が), where the topic is usually someone (X). If X is not given, it is assumed to be you (私).

[Xは] アイスクリームが好きです。
X likes ice cream.

アイスクリームは [Xが] 好きです。
Ice cream likes X.

There is a different は, used to mark contrast:

[Xは] アイスクリームは好きです。
X likes ice cream. But doesn't eat anything else.

share|improve this answer

The use of は in your example for 好き is fine, but the nuance is slightly different:

アイスクリームが好きです。
I like ice cream. (The item "ice cream" is stressed in this sentence).

versus

アイスクリームは好きです。
I like ice cream, but .. (there are other things I don't like).

More generally, は can mark the topic of a sentence. But it can also be used in a contrastive sense, which occurs in your example. Another example:

どちらがおいしい? 
魚はおいしいけど、肉はぜんぜんおいしくない。
Which one do you like to eat? I like fish, but I really don't like meat.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.