Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would I go about saying "Courageous warriors called Samurai? Would さむらいと言うゆうきなせんし make sense?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

No 勇気な戦士 does not make sense, because 勇気 is not a na-adjective.

If you want to use 勇気 (you probably do), you have to say 勇気がある and when this modifies a noun (like 戦士), you should use no-ga conversion to get

侍という勇気のある戦士

share|improve this answer

Ahh you're correct, thank you! I should've checked if it was a na adjective first, I just didn't know how to express "courageous" with a noun properly. What I was originally trying to write was, "the warriors who rode on horses and were courageous were called "Samurai"" I re-modified my old one with your help, is this sentence okay now? 勇気があって馬に乗って戦士たちは「侍」とよびました。 –  user3682 Mar 11 at 21:24
It would have been easier if you had asked your full question from the beginning. –  Earthliŋ Mar 11 at 23:08

Sorry about that, I thought this alone would be enough, but I figured that my Japanese may not be well-off enough to make sure this sentence was correct. I also wanted to try making the sentence myself without someone translating it completely, that way I could learn better –  user3682 Mar 11 at 23:15
「侍という勇気のある戦士」 sounds wordy if I may speak on the native level. I would either drop the 「の」 as it is unnecessary or use 「勇敢な」 instead. –  非回答者 Mar 12 at 1:12
It's not so much that I didn't want to help you a second time, but I answer questions in my free time and sometimes I run out of free time. I had imagined "Courageous warriors called Samurai" was some sort of slogan (maybe for a poster) that you wanted translated. For such a slogan 「侍という勇気のある戦士」 fits well in my opinion. The comments seem to suggest that you don't want a slogan, but a full sentence. A full sentence may appear in all sorts of contexts, so you'll have to provide the context to get the best answer. You can either try to edit your original question, or ask a new question. –  Earthliŋ Mar 12 at 10:13

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.