Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Just for a little bit of context: There's a flyer about a Japanese church's beach retreat that's been sent around, and I'm trying to translate it for practice. That being said, the flyer has been attached to an e-mail, and some of the earlier stuff in the e-mail seemed to be talking about how a couple of the details about the beach retreat haven't been figured out quite yet.

Take the following sentence:

でもリトリートがどんなものかは、スケジュールをご覧になって頂くと、一番分かると思いましたので、未完成ながらも送らせて頂きました。

I'm having a little bit of difficulty with this. I've put together what I'm hoping is at least kind of close to what's being said:

However as for a lot of the retreat's details, since I saw the schedule, and since I figured it had all the important stuff on there, it's going ahead and being sent around, despite not quite being finished just yet.

I know that some of the wording style is my own, but if I really knew how to translate the above, I wouldn't have affected the wording like that; this is largely to try to plug some holes in real quick while just practicing.

Also I noticed 頂く being used more than once; I know that the speaker generally wouldn't ever use it to refer to their own actions, but I really had no idea where it fit in.

What does the sentence above really say, and is there a pattern of difference between my translation and the real one? Thanks!

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

でもリトリートがどんなものかは、However as for what kind of thing the retreat is
スケジュールをご覧になって頂くと、if you look at the schedule
一番分かると思いましたので、I thought you would best understand so
未完成ながらも while not complete
送らせて頂きました。I sent

However I thought you would best understand what sort of retreat this is if you took a look at the schedule, so I went ahead and sent it though it's not finished yet.

ご覧になって頂く = ご覧になる (尊敬語 of 見る; listener's action) + 頂く(謙譲語 of もらう; speaker's action)
= (Literally) I receive(頂く) your looking(ご覧になる)
= Polite way of saying "you look"

送らせて頂きました = 送らせる (causative form of 送る) + 頂く
= (Literally) I received being allowed to send
= Polite way of saying "I sent it".
(This grammar is the topic of a question here)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.